Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Twitter PLN

I have become involved in developing a Personal Learning Network on Twitter. It has been a source of inspiration, entertainment, opportunities to share, and ideas to implement in my classroom.

One night a couple of weeks ago a colleague on twitter asked people to collaborate on a google doc with their twitter handle.

I was pretty early in to view the doc. It was amazing. The growth within the first ten minutes was truly mind-blowing. The next morning I checked the document to see if there were any new additions. Not only were there new additions - there were SEVERAL new additions - not only of people to follow on twitter, but also the addition of subject areas.

When I have talked to people I work with about twitter I don't know that the power of twitter is truly understood. So I hereby challenge anybody reading this to go to twitter, sign up for an account, and give it two weeks. If you don't want to participate with your own tweets, then find some people to follow and learn how to follow the hash tags that interest you. A couple I follow are #sschat, #edchat, and #running.

And just to start you off - HERE is the google doc with hundreds of twitter handles sorted by subject area.

Give it a try - what do you have to lose?

No comments: